Thursday, July 14, 2011

"Box triptych" by Laura Caumel, one of the works on show at the Bwhat?! festival

When our teacher announced the theme of this year’s European section arts project, you should have seen the faces we all made! “Boxes” didn’t inspire us at first but when you “brainstorm” the word “box”, you think of several things: skyscrapers, candy, pizza or shoe boxes, even coffins, etc. In our daily lives we are surrounded by things that are box-like.

Whilst searching on the Bwhat?! project blog, we discovered a wealth of ideas. There are many sources of inspiration, each one more weird than the last. This made us use our imagination which, being in high school, we very rarely do… Some of the boxes on the site inspired me more than the rest: the one in the film “Seven”, the Jack-in-the-box, the Christmas gift, the Nothing boxes, and the Finger boxes by the Japanese Fluxus artist Ay-O.

After a bit of thinking I came up with this triptych of hands-on surprise boxes. You're probably wondering what the point of this “work of art” is? Unfortunately I don’t really know myself! I love to laugh, have fun and joke around and that is maybe why I have chosen to create these bizarre boxes. I will not give any more details on the contents (that is the whole point!) and I will let you find out for yourselves the “innards”…

Boxes are generally just banal, boring containers. But, they hide what is inside and so they can create a sense of curiosity, apprehension or even fear... In creating my arty boxes I wanted to provoke these sensations. Will you dare open something with unknown contents? Is what is inside going to be a pleasant surprise? Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment