Thursday, July 14, 2011

"Box music" by Florent Bourgain, one of the works of art that could be heard at the Bwhat?! festival

My Bwhat?! project is a piece of music. I was inspired by Erik Satie, a 19th century French composer, who didn’t take what he did too seriously (as illustrated by his “Musique en forme de poire”). He wrote without regard for the rules and musical forms of his time. His work is impressionistic and repetitive.

My piece is also repetitive, hinting at a “three-dimensional” soundscape. I have pushed my homage to the point of drawing the written score itself as a box…

The happy/sad music accompanies a song called: “I wrote this song for you…” whose self-referential lyrics are about isolation (being stuck in an existential “box”). The words are a vague reference to Carly Simon’s 1972 hit:”You’re so vain, you probably think this song is about you…”

No comments:

Post a Comment